Sunday, November 27, 2011

How To Use Chopsticks---An Introduction To The Project



My name is Ari and I have decided to challenge myself to eat only using chopsticks for the next year. This idea began when I caught a news story about the chopstick capital of Japan, Obama. Oddly enough, though the capital shares its name with our current United States President, I don't think Mr. Obama uses chopsticks frequently. Back to the sticks then...I was impressed by the craftsmanship and respect surrounding the creation of a pair of chopsticks and consumption of food, and given that I have used them off and on since childhood, I thought it would be nice to challenge myself to share the same appreciation for my eating tools and food as my Asian counterparts.

Consequently, this challenge had manifested itself in my brain the day before our national food holiday, Thanksgiving. What better time to start my new routine than when millions of Americans would be shoveling turkey and stuffing mouthful after mouthful? So, after a brief stop to pick up a starter pack of chopsticks, I mentally prepared myself for a long, interesting year, "culinarily" speaking of course.

I will be uploading a photo of a meal I eat with my sticks each day, starting with one from Thanksgiving last Thursday. While I am working the kinks out of setting up the blog, I am a few days behind in uploading, so please bear with me...I promise that the photos will be worth the wait.




2 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun project. Can I suggest you do the $1,000 for Feeding America and then find local charities to support? As a long time food cupboard operator, we've never seen any support from Feeding America and we don't know anyone that has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! Are you from Maine? If so, you might be interested to know that the Good Shepard Food-Bank is partnered with Feeding America!

    ReplyDelete